Spent a free day working on another small animation for GSG’s 5 second projects. Check it out here: http://vimeo.com/11884092.
Posts Tagged ‘motion graphics
My new demo reel is up…check it out here.
Over the past month and a half, I’ve been working on an abstract, experimental short focusing on the theme of “Greed”. During brainstorm sessions and explorations, I came across a quote by Albert Einstein. “The stakes are immense, the task colossal, the time is short. But we may hope – we must hope – that man’s own creation, man’s own genius, will not destroy him.” That pretty much summed up exactly what I wanted to portray – Man’s greed as a driving force for progression, yet destruction as well. Are we destroying what truly matters for selfish growth and advancement? Do we as people naturally yearn and desire for more? There seems to be a very thin line between greed and ambition.
These are some of the questions and ideas I had floating around my head when I began creating my concept. I wanted to create something abstract that reinforced this theme without being completely obvious. I hope I did leave some room for interpretation. I am also intrigued with the idea of trying this for all 7 deadly sins. Here’s to more free time!
View the video here: http://vimeo.com/5931699
Much to do 🙂 8-10 week deadline sounds reasonable at this pace..
1) Went to Bermuda in early April. Captured some great footage and had an awesome time. Still doesn’t compare to Hawaii though..
2) Attended the Industry Spotlight VII hosted by Siggraph NYC at FIT. Seemed like the usual talks from all the nyc big shots. Nathan Love however were hilarious! They showed a studio project they were working on about some horror animation movie. It was amazing and grossly entertaining. Curious Pictures are also working on a 3D short.
3) Had to say goodbye to a wonderful coworker/friend and what better way to do that than drunk bowling! You will be missed..
4) I used to hate indexhibit sites. They seemed to all look the same and lacked any sort of personality. After installing it and messing around with the CSS file, it’s hard NOT to love this little tool. It’s an easy, efficient way to create a portfolio site. I work in Flash all the time but sometimes, it’s just not the right tool to use for a website. Sure, it’s flashier (no pun intended) and more engaging, but when I have to wait 3 minutes for a site to load, that’s 2 minutes too long of wasted time. I never thought I’d say this but I may cross over to the HTML side…
5) Wrapping up (finally) some big projects at work which I hope to include in my portfolio soon. And of course, more new and ongoing personal projects to come as well…
In need of some inspiration? Check no further than digup tv. Digup tv is a “video documented review on digital design.” I personally loved the interviews of Mate Steinforth (Psyop), Rob Chiu & Chris Hewitt, and Pierre Magnol (Gkaster). All the interviews are well shot, edited and put together to really tell a fantastic story and keep you totally engaged for the full ~10 minutes.
On a side note, I contacted Pierre a few months ago with some questions about two of his projects. He was very friendly and helpful and it’s nice to watch his interview in retrospect. Just goes to show that if you have questions, JUST ASK! I still think his reel is one of the 3 best I’ve ever seen.
Updated my portfolio along with a brand spanking new showreel. Check it out!
Random sidenote: Duke advances to the Sweet 16! That made my entire weekend. 🙂